Yes, We’ve Got an App for That
Learn About the OSG Mobile App
Using a mobile app has become as second nature to today’s consumer as picking up a dictionary used to be to look up the definition of a word. According to the Wikipedia app, “A mobile app is a computer program designed to run on mobile devices such as smartphones and tablet computers.” But oh, it’s so much more. Today people run their lives using apps. Need a taxi? Want to order food? Want to keep track of your weight? Want to be able to chat with friends and family across the globe? There’s an app for that. Literally. Did you know that smartphone mobile app usage has become so prevalent that it has now surpassed desktop usage in the United States?1
Localytics gathered some fascinating statistics about the prevalence of app usage as well as some insightful predictions2:
- As of May 2015, Android users were able to choose from 1.5 million apps and from 1.4 million using the Apple App store.
- Today, 85 percent of people prefer using native mobile apps to websites.
- According to Juniper Research, it’s predicted that more than 2 billion mobile users will make a mobile commerce transaction by the end of 2017.
- According to Statista, global mobile app revenues are expected to grow to $76.52 billion US dollars in 2017.
At OSG we pride ourselves on not only meeting but exceeding our customer’s expectations. After reviewing the statistics and taking the pulse of today’s customers, it was obvious that we needed to develop a mobile bill pay app. Take a look at today’s billing landscape. Today 49 percent of all bills paid in the U.S. are electronic.3 And the 80 percent of Americans between the ages of 18 – 49 who own smartphones4 pay an average of two bills a month on that phone. And the way we present bills to consumers is also changing. A quarter5 of all U.S. bills are now sent electronically in place of a paper bill and a recent survey3 found that 46 percent of consumers said receiving paperless e-bills increases customer satisfaction.
The OSG Mobile App is available for both Android and iOS smartphone device users and is available in the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store under the client’s branded mobile app name. Designed to enhance the mobile billing and payment process, the app is completely built, hosted and updated by OSG. The goal is to deliver a mobile presentation portal with functions that actively engage subscribers and offer mobile solutions such as convenient mobile bill presentment and payment options.
The app also has the potential to provide new, revenue-generating opportunities for carriers through features such as ad delivery through an opt-in form; local and regional rewards programs; text adverts and selling products and services through the app. These potential offerings will allow providers of the app to receive payments from the advertisers, thus potentially offsetting the costs of offering the app or even making profits as well.
Some of the features of the OSG Mobile App include:
- Easy access for customers to view and to pay their bills
- Self-service options to change settings like email address, notifications, etc.
- A dedicated customer portal which allows you to expand your customer’s relationship with your organization
- A fully-hosted and secure SaaS solution so your customers never have to worry if their data is secure
- A self-service portal for your company with a link to your mobile-optimized website which gives your customer control over the customer experience
- Ability to feature and communicate your company’s marketing touchpoints
Some of the benefits of the OSG Mobile App include:
- A better user experience for both bill presentment and payment, making the whole encounter much easier and stress-free
- The potential for cost savings due to reduced processing and postage costs
- The ability to drive brand loyalty through targeted messaging, earning you a greater competitive advantage
- The opportunity to earn money within and beyond the app
- The creation of a real partnership from which you can build
These are exciting times. Technology and the billing landscape are both continuing to evolve. As billers, it’s our job to keep up and anticipate ways to improve the presentment and payment process. You don’t need an app to figure that out.
Sources: 1. comScore “The Global Market Report” Mar 2015; 2. http://info.localytics.com/blog/23-fresh-statsand-charts-to-convince-your-boss-to-investmore-in-mobile-in-2015; 3. Seventh Annual Fiserv Household Billing Survey from Fiserv; 4. http://www.pewinternet.org/2015/04/01/chapterone-a-portrait-of-smartphone-ownership; 5. PaymentsSource.com, Paythink, March 2015